Saturday, January 6, 2007

Rocky Balboa Movie Review

Yesterday night I watched “Rocky Balboa” in the theaters. When I first heard that they were going to make another Rocky, the first thing that came to mind was are they out of their minds, this is going to be so stupid. Also I was mad because I have that 5 disc Rocky Anthology DVD box set, now I’m going to have to buy this Rocky VI and its not going to be in my Box set it’s going to have to live outside of it. (Keep in mind I have like over 600 DVDs, so I kind of want to keep in nice and tidy)

Well…all that aside, here is my review for “Rocky Balboa”. First thing overall I enjoyed the movie; this Rocky movie went back to its roots. And going back to the roots to end the Rocky Saga was a great in my opinion. It was telling a story and it wasn’t going straight for the boxing scenes (like in Rocky 3 and 4) It was character developing all over again. Showing the viewer how Rocky’s hometown and how it has changed throughout the years. The town almost resembles Rocky’s character itself; getting old and falling apart. As you may know the plot starts out showing us what has happened to Adriana and how Rocky has coped with her loss. The movie has a nice touch of showing new characters and old. Rocky has “stuff left in his basement” meaning he still has the urge to box again (this is after he sees a computer generated fight of himself vs. the current heavy weight champ on ESPN)

The story was the real key to this movie as it was pretty well written by Sylvester Stallone. Showcasing characters was the main focus, showing how the people have lived on since Rocky retired from boxing. (In my opinion it was a great way to end the Saga. This should have been Rocky V.) FYI: You don’t really see any training montage or fighting probably until the last 30 minutes of the movie. Is Sly really 60 years old? The man is lifting crazy weights! Amazing how he keeps in shape simply amazing…I hope I look that fit when I’m 60.

The best scene of the movie (or maybe cheesiest) was when Rocky lectured his son about not caring what other people think and not blaming others for your failures or insecurities. (The son has been trying to escape from the shadows of his Famous Father.) Well...I don't want to tell too much of the story but you get the idea.

If you are a Rocky fan and was disappointed from watching Rocky V, go out and watch this movie and get some closure because I surely did. I was satisfied at how it ended.

Mogura approves! (Mogura hated Rocky V but loved Rocky VI)

-mogura

No comments: